Flash! Bang! Jail!

June 28, 2017 · by rosenblumlawfirm · in

Don’t celebrate Independence Day by giving up your independence.

Americans love fireworks, especially on the Fourth of July, and Jerseyans are no exception. However, setting off large fireworks displays require a special permit in New Jersey, which is only offered to entertainment professionals. Thankfully, there’s nothing wrong with lighting up some simple sparklers and Roman candles in the backyard or driveway – right?

Wrong! Most people would be surprised to learn just how many kinds of fireworks are illegal in New Jersey. Under statute N.J.S.A. 21:3-2, virtually any product or chemical that creates a loud noise and/or burst of flames is illegal. The law makes it illegal to buy, sell, or to even own such items. This includes that innocent-looking pack of sparklers, Roman candles, and firecrackers. Even cap guns fall under this category if the ammo contains more than 0.25 grains of explosive chemical.

New Jersey also outlaws any explosion caused by misusing common household products, such as cold packs (ammonium nitrate), bleach (chlorates), and old-fashioned thermometers (mercury). So if you were thinking about trying to make your own fireworks, realize that in all likelihood, those would also be illegal.

If you are caught using fireworks – or even just holding them – you can be charged with a petty disorderly persons offense. A conviction means facing a $500 fine and a possible 30 days in jail. Selling fireworks is a more serious crime. If you are found guilty of selling or intending to sell fireworks you could spend up to 18 months in prison and face up to $10,000 in fines.

Don’t let your patriotism blow up in your face this Fourth of July. If you or a loved one was recently charged with a fireworks crime in New Jersey, hire an attorney right away to maintain your freedom. The lawyers of the Rosenblum Law Firm are skilled criminal defense attorneys with experience helping people in similar situations. Email the Rosenblum Law Firm or call 888-979-7551 today for a free consultation about your case.